17 September 2014

French Pharmacy

French Pharmacy has been creating quite a stir as a well kept secret that has been gently told to a select few friends gradually over time. It's no secret , however, how women around the world have for so long looked with awe at the style and beauty of their French counterparts and the very slowly growing availability of these French skincare products allows everyone to drink from the chalice of French beauty.


The major draw of French Pharmacy is the quality and effectiveness of the well known brands to tackle any skin problem in a dermatologically friendly way. These brands featured here all have a reputation for being made not to just promise something but to actually do it. From acne to severely dry skin and everything in between, these brands have tried and tested solutions which I can attest to. After many months' research, here's my pick of French Pharmacy must haves, whatever your skin type.

Vichy

Probably the longest and most readily available French Pharmacy brand in Ireland, Vichy has long been a favourite of those with a variety of skin concerns or just those who know how to take good care of their skin. Available in many well-stocked pharmacies across the country, Vichy has a wide selection of ever-expanding ranges for every skin type and complaint and you can usually be assured that pharmacies that stock a brand like this usually have someone in store who can guide you in the right direction.

After hearing a lot of good things about Vichy Normaderm 3 In 1 I decided to put this to the test when I had my first break out in months and the results were instant. Let's face it, if you have a breakout, nothing on the planet is going to make it go away magically. However, there are some products that can help the cursed spots go away a little quicker. After teenage years of constant breakouts I tried so many things, all to no avail. I wish I knew then what I know now. Like don't both buying cheap random face masks by brands you've never heard of. Go reliable, French pharmacy brands all the way instead of irritating your spots and wrecking your skin.

This 3-in-1 got to the top of the list of favourites because of how gentle yet extremely effective it is. It now has a special place in my weekly skin routine and I use it for a scrub every coupe of days and once or twice a week as a mask and it really does smooth and clear your skin without any irritation.

La Roche Posay





After Vichy, La Roche Posay is the next most available French Pharmacy brand over here and if you have skin that is any way sensitive, dry, dehydrated or greasy you will find a product in this brand of the highest quality to help whatever the skin problem. It's especially noted for sensitive skin and I've been recommended various products from the brand over the years for different reasons, even by doctors.

It's so pure and unfragranced and is the least irritating skincare brand I've ever come across. I particularly like the three products pictured above. Cicaplast Baume B5 is a beauty go to for many dry skin complaints. I first came across it in relation to sun burn but it's brilliant for chapped skin, burns, dry heels and elbows, dry lips. It's thick, unscented cream is the most soothing balm for irritated skin. It almost should be kept in the medicine cabinet, it's such an all rounder!

I've been using the Physiological Ultra-Fine Scrub for years and I like it so much because it's the most gentle yet effective facial exfoliator I've ever tried. Exfoliating for me is very important to keep skin clear, clean and fresh. However so many facial scrubs are way too harsh for most skin types and can do more harm than good so this La Roche-Posay scrub is quite perfect. It exfoliates well while being as gentle as your skin deserves.

Finally, La Roche-Posay Hydreane Riche Moisturising Cream for Sensitive skin is another French Pharmacy classic, aiding the most sensitive skin with essential hydration without irritating it in any way. Fragrance and paraben free, the moisturiser is infused with the brand's renowned Thermal Spring Water and leaves skin hydrated, softened and smooth.

Eucerin





The most medical looking of all the French Pharmacy brands, Eucerin Replenishing Face Cream for Dry skin contains 5% Urea which is very clever really. Although Eucerin isn't French in origin is it categorised as a French Pharmacy brand because of its popularity in French pharmacies and because of the nature of what it does, which is replenish and replace necessary urea and lactose the skin loses in various conditions during the course of the day. It's a very basic, no frills product which is an essential for dry skin.

I bought this during the hottest part of the summer when I found I was losing a lot of moisture through perspiration on my face during the almost heat wave and now I use it whenever my skin feels parched. Coming in about €10 too it certainly doesn't break the bank and will become an essential in your skincare bag.

Bioderma

This is the brand I had to do a bit of extra searching for. Having seen and heard so many great things about Bioderma I was so disappointed to find that it wasn't available in Ireland at all but was delighted to come across http://www.escentual.com/ which actually stocks all of the French Pharmacy brands in this article and ships to Ireland.

Bioderma is one of the main lures of French Pharmacy. A big favourite of makeup artists and models, so much so that I have read so many times models and makeup artists saying that whenever they are in Paris they have been known to buy several bottles of the famous cleansing waters at a time. If you look at any behind the scenes photos from recent Fashion Weeks, so many makeup artists tables include the famous pink and blue lids!

I tried out two: the most well known and highly-lauded Sensibo H2O (pink lid - for sensitive skin)  and the Hydrabio H2O (blue lid - which cleanses, tones and moisturises for sensitive, dehydrated skin). Both are Micelle Solutions and their benefit is that they are said to be as gentle as water but hugely effective cleansers and eye makeup removers and I can fully attest to that. They have been brilliant at removing even the most hardcore black eyeliner and mascara which really is the biggest test.

However, after trying both thoroughly, a favourite made itself clear. Although the Sensibo is for sensitive skin like all the great French Pharmacy Brands, I found that my skin definitely had a little sting to it after using this one, although this is the most popular micellar water in the fashion and beauty world and is a real must have product.

Using the Hydrabio H2O, which appealed to me because of the added moisturising quality, has been such a dream and I've used it religiously since I got it. It cleanses your skin so well and I've actually noticed an improvement in my skin since using it so I couldn't recommend it more.

The Michelle Solution cleanser is popular in the fashion and beauty worlds because it is just as easy but so much better for your skin that cleansing wipes. If you are prone to sleeping in your makeup after a night out please stop and pick up one of these and in 30 seconds you'll have fresh clean skin and will have done yourself a big favour.

Bioderma is the cream of the crop when it comes to French Pharmacy brands!

Nuxe

Nuxe is the brand that really drew me to French Pharmacy in the first place and the product that gave it its huge renown and appeal, Huile Prodigieuse, is one of my all time skincare products for face, hair and body, which I go into great detail about here. It's a go to product for everything from overly dry split ends to moisturising face and body. And the fact that the smell is so amazing, you just want to bathe in it which you can by adding a few drops to your bath. The moisturizing capabilities last all day and I couldn't believe the effect it has when you rub in a couple of drops to the end of your hair. It's a miracle product.

Nuxe puts the luxe into French pharmacy and every product I've tried has left my skin feeling so soft and hydrated and also glowing. Two other products I can't get enough of at the moment are the Micellar Cleansing Water with Rose Petals which is such a thorough cleanser and leaves your face feeling squeaky clean and fresh looking. And the Créme Prodigieuse Anti-Fatigue Moisturising Cream is such a simple day cream hydrator which I have noticed really refreshes and hydrates the tiredest skin.

Every product I have tried from Nuxe has been of the highest quality and a lot of research goes in to making each product so effective. It's a brand that once you start using, it's impossible not to keep re-buying and trying more and more of their products. French Pharmacy at its finest!

La Roche Posay, Vichy and Eucerin and all widely available at most well stocked pharmacies. Nuxe is slowing being introduced around the country to many of the better stocked pharmacies in Ireland but Bioderma is not yet available here so it, along with all the products mentioned above, can be got at http://www.escentual.com/french/

2 comments:

  1. Eucerin is a German company! For my combinated, acne-prone skin lrp and avene are the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, I know, I mentioned that in the piece but I just included it as it's often tied in with that particular type of skincare and sold among French Pharmacy commonly and I love it, i carry it in my handbag at all times!!. Simple and effective skincare that is targeted at all types of problematic skin! I have a few more brands to start trying so I'm going to do a part two of this! Avene is top of my list along with Embryolisse and Caudalie!! It's like finding a gold mine for skincare isn't it!x

      Delete