24 July 2014

Blush Up!

Cream blush adds the perfect pop of colour to the palest of faces on the drabbest of days and is such a great tool to create a rosy glow in seconds leaving an appealing flush however your feel underneath.









There is a certain stigma attached to blusher. Since there are so many products on the market to counteract skin redness why would you buy a product that creates it? But the flush of colour you can create and control with blusher is very different from unwanted skin redness. But the best thing about blusher, especially cream blush, is that when using it with a good foundation you can control the pinky glow leaving the healthy looking colour where it works best.

I used to blush constantly, my cheeks would turn bright pink in so many situations; when it was too warm, when I was shy... I even tried green cream to calm it down but after a while I realised how appealing blush can be; especially after seeing pictures of Helena Christensen rocking cheek apple blush - it seems to be a staple in her makeup routine. 

I started using Bourjois' classic powder blush in my late teens and it was the only makeup constant that I used up to the very last speck of dust time and again for years but, since I came across cream blush I have doffed powder blush almost entirely.

The major appeal for me is that with cream blush you have so much more control over how much you apply and how it's spread out to bring your makeup look from a subtle glow during the day to a more striking look at night. The cream blends better with foundation using either your fingers or a brush.

However, I have appeared in public more times than I care to mention with way to much blusher on as a result of applying it in lower light so I found that the best technique when putting on cream blush is to gently dab a small amount gradually on the apples of your cheeks. With this patting technique you can layer it to suit yourself but, from very embarrassing mistakes, I've learned that less is more and the clown look can be produced a lot easier than you'd think! Using a brush to blend it with foundation and dabbing a highlighter like Benefit's High Beam creates such a lovely healthy glow. 

Another bonus of the cream variation of blush is that you can use it for the cheeks of course but many are transferable to lips too and, if you're feeling adventurous, a lot of the cream blush shades can also be used as striking eye shades if your eye colour suits pinky, corally shades. So, after many trials, here's a look at some of the top cream blushes on the market and my pick of the bunch.

From left to right: Stila Convertible Colour, Topshop Cream Blush, Mac Cremeblend Blush Pro Palette & Butter London Cheeky Cream Blush
1. Stila Convertible Colour in Petunia (€21.50)

I have already covered this product on Penelope's Bed when I wrote about my favourite Stila products but this particular blush is one of my happiest makeup finds of all time. I carry it in my bag constantly and it's actually created for use on both lips and cheeks so the texture is the best of this bunch since it's custom made for both. 

The shade of this particular blush, Petunia, is also so flattering and subtle and works well for both very pale skin or, if you have developed a little summer glow on your face in recent months, it really lifts a tan. It's a makeup classic and staple in many makeup artists' bags for a reason and is a pretty perfect product.

The only downside is the pretty hefty price tag but as a 2-in-1 lip and cheek combo it's a little less painful to fork out that much and I've been using it constantly for several months now without barely making a dent - it's highly pigmented so a little is plenty - so I think you could get up to a year out of it. An extra little bonus, in true Stila fashion, is its gorgeous case which has a handy little mirror if, like me, you have a tendency to makeup top up on the go!

Stila is available at Harvey Nichol's, Dundrum Town Centre and can be bought online at http://www.brownthomas.com/

2. Topshop Cream Blush in Flush (approx. €9.00)

I had seen this particular Topshop blush mentioned and recommended quite a lot so I decided to investigate and this was the product that caused my conversion from powder to cream. As the title suggests, this cream blush gives a lovely flushed hue to your cheeks. The texture is gorgeous and makes your skin feel smooth and soft and you can control the application of this particular product much easier than most of its type.

I particularly love wearing this shade, Flush, in combination with Benefit's gorgeous Cha Cha Tint; the effect you end up with is a lovely, healthy looking coral pink flush. And, at under a tenner this is the most pocket-friendly of the bunch but lasts quite well. After trying out several items from Topshop's makeup range in recent times I have been so impressed with the quality, price and their constant updating of their makeup line to suit seasonal trends while at the same time holding on to the classics. Top marks Topshop!

3. MAC Cremeblend Blush Pro Palette in So Sweet, So Easy (€19.00)

As you can see in the picture this MAC Cremeblend Blush has been getting a lot of use since I got it. Out of all of this selection it is the most subtle blush of the bunch. The shade, So Sweet, So Easy, is a very light powder pink shade and the blush blends into your skin so easily that it's very hard to tell you're wearing any makeup at all; it just leaves you with a subtle pink hue that's barely noticeable in one regard but makes all the difference in another.

MAC is available in Brown Thomas department stores nationwide as well as online at http://www.brownthomas.com/

4. butter LONDON Cheeky Cream Blush in Pistol Pink (€20.00)

butter LONDON's recent foray beyond their specialty nails into the world of makeup couldn't have been a more natural progression and the brand have released such a high quality, striking edit of makeup in bold, long lasting shades. On the outset this blush in Pistol Pink is the brightest, most vibrant, standout shade of the bunch so I was a tad apprehensive when I tried it. Although it is as pigmented - almost neon - as it looks you can control the density of the colour much easier than you would expect with such a shocking shade.

Out of all these blushes featured here Pistol Pink is the least daytime suited but the lovely creamy texture lets you control how bright you want your cheeks to be and, although it is just a blusher, I have used it several times on my lips as well as my cheeks and I love the combination. Quality-wise this probably has the longest lasting power of the four reviewed here but you must take care with this one to not apply it in a hurry and just take the time to dab it gradually on the apples of your cheeks and blend it well and, if your feeling brave, add a little dab on the lips too!

butter LONDON is available at Avoca stores nationwide and at www.beautymatters.ie

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful - you've chosen gorgeous shades!

    lillies and lipbalm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mel! I'm so glad you like them! I'm such a blushaholic, it just livens your face up even on its own so this bunch is such a tried and tested collection of favourites! xx

      Delete